WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton wants you to delete your Facebook account

facebook, social media

Technology News

The Mark Zuckerberg-led social media company Facebook in 2014 acquired instant messaging app WhatsApp, which had been co-founded in 2009 by former Yahoo employee Jan Koum and Brian Acton. While Koum continues to lead the messaging platform, Acton has since left the company and started his own venture, Signal.

Now, Brian Acton, the estranged co-founder of WhatsApp, seems to have turned against Facebook. In a Tweet that might raise many questions, Acton wrote, “It is time”, with a hashtag, to “#deletefacebook”.

It is unclear what impelled Acton to write such a tweet. However, this is not the first time that he has voiced his concerns over Facebook. In 2009, he had applied for a job at Facebook and posted the following tweet soon after:

Recently, Facebook come under scrutiny after reports emerged that data analytics company Cambridge Analytica accessed the company’s user data for over 50 million accounts without their permission.

The firm is also alleged to have helped Donald Trump in the US Presidential elections of 2016 by more effectively providing him target voters on Facebook than to his rival Hillary Clinton.



Pakistan’s Alishba admits to meeting Shami, denies money transaction

Mohammed Shami with his wife and children

Latest News

The controversy surrounding Mohammad Shami on Monday took another turn as Pakistani woman Alishba admitted meeting him in Dubai but refuted any monetary dealings with the India pacer as claimed by his wife.

Alishba’s name surfaced in the controversy after Shami’s wife Hasin Jahan alleged that he could have a relationship with the Pakistani woman.

“Yes, I met him. I am a frequent flyer to Dubai because my sister stays in Sharjah. As a person, I really like Shami. As any fan that has idolised a celebrity, they always dream of meeting their idol. I had the desire to meet him (Shami) like any other fan would want to, which I don’t think is a big deal,” Alishba told ‘ABP’ news.

Shami had been booked under various non-bailable, including attempt to murder, and bailable sections after his wife lodged a complaint of domestic violence and infidelity against him.

Hasin then hinted that her husband may have cheated India following his alleged relationship with girlfriends from Pakistan and Dubai, which had prompted the Committee of Administrators (CoA) chief Vinod Rai to ask BCCI’s anti-corruption body to submit a report in a week’s time.

Hasin had said in the same news channel, “Alishba is a Pakistani citizen and Shami claimed that she gave him money. I have never been told by Shami for what purpose that money was given. I don’t know but if he can fraud me he can fraud the country too.”

Alishba claimed she and Shami are just friends.

“I am one of his followers, which is how I became Shami’s friend. Just like he has lakhs of followers, I am one among those normal fans. I have sent him messages,” she said.

She has also denied knowing UK-based Mohammad bhai or entering a hotel — as alleged by Hasin — with Shami.

“No, I directly went to my sister’s house. However, I visited the hotel next morning at around 9 am and had a breakfast with him,” she said.

“I personally don’t know Mohammed Bhai and have nothing to do with him and there was no involvement of money transaction between us. The person who does not even lie to anyone, how he can be disloyal to his country,” Alishba said.

Earlier in the day, Hasin gave a confidential statement to a magistrate at Kolkata’s Alipore court in connection to the charges she brought against the cricketer.

After she emerged from the court, Hasin went to the residence of chief minister Mamata Banerjee to submit a written plea to meet her.

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S may not be too different from bezel-less flagship Mi Mix 2

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S

Technology News

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi is gearing up to announce the the Mi Mix 2S, the next iteration of its bezel-less smartphones, on March 27. Before the official launch, however, the phone’s official promo material has been leaked and it drops a few hints on what to expect from the device.

Unlike the previous leak, which showed the bezel-less smartphone with all-screen display and a minute cut-out on the top-right corner for a selfie camera, the new leak shows an altogether new design, in line with the current breed of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2.

Based on the new leak, the Mi Mix 2S would sport a Mi Mix 2-inspired design, with three-side bezel-less screen and a minimal bezel on the bottom. However, the front camera placement is not clearly visible and the phone might get a new space to host it.

As for specifications and features, the phone would boast Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 system-on-chip (SoC); this was confirmed by the company spokesperson on social media.

Based on leaked images, the phone is expected to sport a 256GB internal storage and up to 8 GB of RAM. However, another variant with a lower storage option could be there as well.

In terms of imaging, the previous leak revealed that the upcoming device would sport a dual-camera set-up on the back. However, there is no confirmation around it and we would have to wait until the official launch on March 27 to get the final details.

Asus ZenBook Flip S convertible laptop launched with 8th Gen Intel Core i7

Asus ZenBook Flip S (UX370)

Technology News

Taiwanese computer equipment manufacturer Asus has launched the world’s thinnest and lightest 2-in-1 laptop, the ZenBook Flip S, in India at Rs 1,30,990. The laptop, which competes with the HP Envy-series and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, would be available across leading offline retail stores.

The ZenBook Flip S sports a 13.3-inch fullHD touch screen display, which supports stylus-based inputs, too, along with minimal bezels around it. The laptop is powered by Intel 8th generation Core i7 processor, clocked at 1.8GHz with a turbo frequency of up to 4GHz.

The laptop boots Microsoft Windows 10 out of the box. It does not have discrete graphics memory, but the graphic tasks are managed by Intel UHD Graphics 620 (GPU). The laptop features 16GB LPDDR3 RAM and 512GB SATA3 solid-state drive (SSD).

The key highlight of the ZenBook Flip S is its aluminium chassis design, with 360-degree hinge for ease of use.

The laptop sports USB Type-C ports with support for fast charging. In terms of connectivity, it features dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth and a fingerprint scanner. Audio is taken care of by dual stereo speakers certified by Harman Kardon. For a premium laptop, the Zenbook Flip S features backlit keyboard design with 1mm key travel and glass-covered touchpad.

The ZenBook Flip S supports fast charging, which – according to the company’s claims – can charge 60 per cent battery in 49 minutes. In terms of battery backup, the laptop claims to have 11 hours of battery life onsingle charge.


Kejriwal sorry to Gadkari, Sibal: BJP says AAP exposed; top 10 developments

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal

Latest News

If there was any doubt before, it is clear now that Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has given up his brand of combative politics. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supremo Kejriwal launched into what could be the beginning of an apology spree and apologised to Congress leader Kapil Sibal’s son Amit Sibal and Union minister and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Nitin Gadkari for making unverified allegations of corruption against them. The development came days after Kejriwal apologised to former Punjab minister Bikram Singh Majithia.

After he tendered his apology, Kejriwal was acquitted in two separate defamation cases lodged against him by Amit Sibal, a senior advocate and son of former Union minister Kapil Sibal, and Gadkari. Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, a co-accused with Kejriwal in the defamation case lodged by Sibal, was also acquitted after he, too, tendered an apology to the lawyer. Kejriwal intends to bring an end to the 33 defamation cases against him by means of similar out-of-court settlements and individual “understandings”, say sources. According to AAP leaders, the various cases have drained the party’s resources and money.

The Congress and the BJP, however, hauled Kejriwal over the coals. The Opposition party advised that the Delhi chief minister should change his name to Arvind ‘Sorry’ Kejriwal, while the ruling party at the Centre lashed out at the AAP chief’s brand of politics.

The AAP chief has been dragged to courts in multiple defamation cases lodged by various political leaders, including Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit. Kejriwal still has to contend with Jaitley’s case, and sources in the AAP had told news agencies last week that the senior BJP leader could also soon receive an apology from the Delhi chief minister.

Last week, Kejriwal wrote to Akali Dal leader Bikram Majithia, apologising for accusing him of being involved in drug trade without any proof to back the allegations. The apology, however, did not go down to well with everyone and triggered what amounted to a virtual rebellion in the AAP Punjab unit. Subsequently, Bhagwant Mann resigned as AAP’s Punjab unit chief. However, things seem to have improved since Kejriwal’s meeting with AAP members of the Punjab legislative Assembly, with most saying they understand the decision of the party’s national convenor.

Amit Sibal had filed a defamation suit against Kejriwal and Sisodia for alleging that Kapil Sibal had a conflict in seeking to revise a tax demand on telecom major Vodafone. In 2014, Gadkari had filed a defamation suit against Kejriwal after the AAP chief named him in a list of “corrupt politicians”. In the defamation case filed by Gadkari, it was alleged that Kejriwal had called him “India’s most corrupt”.

Here are the top 10 developments in Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s apology spree that has so far covered Majithia, Sibal and Gadkari:


Apple iPhone SE 2 video leak shows small iPhone X-like screen, dual cameras

Purported iPhone SE 2 Photo:BGR

Technology News

Apple, the Cupertino-based software and technology giant, is expected to launch three iPhone X-based smartphones this year, according to Taiwan-based KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The smartphones are reported to sport 5.8-inch-6.2-inch screen sizes and different display technologies – OLED and IPS LCD.

However, a new leak has emerged showcasing a smaller 4-inch iPhone SE-based design with all-screen display, similar to the one found in iPhone X. Touted as iPhone SE 2, the smartphone’s design sketches were first reported by a technology portal BGR, which claimed to have received them from a reliable industry source.

Soon, a video surfaced on the web that showcased a working prototype of the product.

The purported iPhone SE 2 shows aluminium chassis, similar to the one seen in original iPhone SE. However, the front shows an all-screen-based design with an iPhone X-inspired notch. On the back, the leak video also shows dual-camera set-up, placed in similar style as found in iPhone X.

Purported iPhone SE 2 Photo:BGRPurported iPhone SE 2 Photo:BGR In the past, a report by Luke Lin, analyst at Digitimes Research, also alleged that Apple is preparing for a new inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone Sfor 2018, featuring the wireless charging functionality, but not 3D sensing.

The iPhone SE 2 design and sketches contradicts previous information shared by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which stated that Apple would launch three new iPhones this year – two with OLED display, while the other one with an LCD display – featuring screen size not smaller than 5.8-inch.

Ola, Uber drivers in major cities to go on an indefinite strike from today

Drivers of Uber and Ola walk next to their parked vehicles during a protest in New Delhi in February 2017. Photo: Reuters

Latest News

The transport wing of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena has called for an indefinite strike of drivers of cab aggregators Uber and Ola Strike starting Monday midnight.

Scores of commuters could be inconvenienced due to the indefinite strike starting from Monday.

The strike has been called by the Maharashtra Navnirman Vahtuk Sena which has claimed that several drivers are not being able to cover costs due to falling business.

Union leaders said that drivers in other cities like New Delhi, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Pune among others would also be participating in the strike

Ola and Uber had given big assurances to the drivers, but today they are unable to cover their costs. They have invested Rs 500,000 – 700,000 and were expecting to make Rs 150,000 a month. But drivers are unable to make even half of this because of the mismanagement by these companies,” Sanjay Naik of Maharashtra Navnirman Vahatuk Sena told PTI.

Naik further alleged that these taxi-hailing companies were giving first priority to company-owned cars rather than driver-owned vehicles, causing a slump in their business.

If their demands were not met they would be going ahead with the strike as expected, he indicated.

Other taxi unions, including the Mumbai Taximens Union, have extended support.

Meanwhile, police has issued notices to leaders of the union under section 149 of CrPC relating to unlawful assembly.

“Notices of section 149 of CrPC have been issued to Sanjay Naik, president, Arif Shaikh and Nitin Nandgaokar of the Maharashtra Navnirman Vahatuk Sena as preventive action. If they violate any orders, they are liable to be prosecuted,” said Pandit Thorat, senior inspector of the Andheri police station.

In Mumbai alone there are over 45,000 such cabs but a slump in business has seen a drop of about 20 per cent in their numbers.

The cab hailing companies have so far stayed away from interfering in the matter. “We have been informed by the Mumbai Police that they have proactively taken all the necessary steps to ensure safety of commuters during the cab rides in the city,” an Ola spokesperson said.